What is Oral Mucositis?
Oral mucositis is an acute inflammation and ulceration of the surface of the mouth and throat. Oral mucositis is a significant problem in patients receiving chemotherapy or radiotherapy. It is a painful condition that can limit adequate nutritional intake.
What is the Incidence of Oral Mucositis?
- 100 % of patients receiving Head & Neck radiotherapy1,2
- up to 100% of patients undergoing high-dose chemotherapy with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation3,4
- 30-75% of patients receiving chemotherapy1
What is the effect of Oral Mucositis on patients' daily life?
The patients could feel pain and troubles in5-7
- Eating and drinking
What is Gelclair®?
Gelclair® is a viscous oral gel for the management of oral mucositis due to radiation/chemotherapy.
Gelclair® exerts a mechanical action that provides rapid pain relief by adhering to the mucosal surface of the mouth, and by preventing over stimulation of exposed and sensitized verve ending within the mucosa.
How does Gelclair® work?
When Gelclair® is rinsed around the mouth, PVP and sodium hyaluronate create a barrier over the oral mucosa.
This barrier can reduce pain and enable patients to eat and drink more easily, as it shields the nerve endings underneath.
How to use Gelclair®?
For more information, please contact the local distributor of your country.
1. Epstein, Schubert. Oncology 2003; 17: 1767-82.
2. Peterson et al. Ann Oncol 2009; 20 (suppl 4): 174-7.
3. Sonis. J Support Oncol 2004; 2 (6 suppl 3): 3-8.
4. Silverman. J Support Oncol 2007; 2 (2 suppl 1): 13-21.
5. Sonis et al, J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 2201-2205.
6. Bellm et al, Support Care Cancer 2000; 8: 33-39.
7. Bruce and Quinn, US Oncological Disease 2007; 86-90.